My family has been talking about a trip to Ireland for a few years. Mom and Dad, us grown kids, plus the SOs.
I’m in research mode right now, trying to break down very large guide books into much smaller lists of things I want to see and do. So daunting at first, but once I grab onto a particular thread of interest, it all gets easier.
To the surprise of absolutely no one in my family, the first serious priority I’m researching is fiber and knitting related destinations. (Later I’ll look seriously into two other big priorities: music and picturesque ruins.)
Here’s my list so far:
- Galway School of Knitting: I hear they have classes. They don’t seem to have a website however.
- Aran Islands (of cabled sweater fame).
- The Sheep and Wool Heritage Centre – Leenane, Connemara
- National Museum of Country Life – County Mayo
- Foxford Woolen Mills – Country Mayo
- Studio Donegal – Kilcar, County Donegal
Where should we visit? I know there must be scads of wonderful, wooly places to visit. I doubt we’ll get to visit them all, but I’d like to know which you think are the best.