There’s a shelter pet out there who wants to meet you
I know because I have two shelter cats at home. They cuddle with me when I have a cold, defend our domain from crows and ladybugs, and in general do everything they can to be members of the pride.
Orion, a shy cuddle-monkey we adopted from Paws and Claws three years ago.
I love pet adoption and I love animals. But I can’t take them all home, and neither can you. That’s why animal shelters, like my local Paws and Claws animal shelter, are so important. They have the will and the means to do what no individual can accomplish. They make it their mission to:
- Rescue and care for lost or abandoned animals
- Seek adoptive homes
- Promote responsible companion animal care.
They make the world a better place.
Enter to win this hand-knitted shawl by making a donation to your local animal shelter
I decided I wanted to do something to give back to my local animal shelter through my love of knitting. And I wanted to give other people a chance to take part to help make a greater impact.
So I decided to knit a shawl. And I’m offering that shawl in a prize drawing for people who choose to join me in supporting animal shelters.
About the shawl
This colorful, stylish shawl was hand-knitted by me using a combination of local fibers:
The pattern is Color Affection by Veera Välimäki. The shawl took approximately 20-30 hours to knit. It would make a gorgeous accessory for you, or for someone special in your life.
How to enter the shawl drawing
1) Make a donation to your local animal shelter. Here’s a link to my local Paws and Claws animal shelter donation page.
2) Leave a comment. Come back to this blog post and leave a comment telling me:
- You made a donation to an animal shelter. You don’t have to tell me how much.
- Tell me about the intended recipient of the shawl (Will it be for you? You mom? Your dentist?). Alternatively, tell me a cute pet story.
I’m doing this on the honor system, however I reserve the right to disqualify any entry that doesn’t follow the rules or that I deem “fishy.”
Entries will be accepted April 8-May 6, 2014. There will be one entry per person, no matter how much you choose to donate. The winner will be drawn randomly using a random number generator. I will contact the winner via email and will announce the winner here on this blog the week of May 6, 2014.
This is a prize drawing where everybody wins
Even if you don’t win the shawl, you’ll still win because you donated money that will help companion animals in need. Animals like:
- Good-Time Charlie, who wants to run, and jump, and play, and lick your face, all at once.
- Harley, a charming girl who enjoys drinking from the faucet
Your entry and donation will make a difference, no matter what.
Other ways you can help
If you don’t wish to participate in the drawing, you can still contribute to this campaign. Tell your friends. Share a link on Facebook.
Good-time Charlie, a dog who was just adopted at Paws and Claws.
Woopi, a cat currently available for adoption at Paws and Claws (as of 4/3/14)
And if you have animal companions at home, give them a scritch for me.