1) I’m at a work dinner surrounded by people who are talking shop, only on a plane of knowledge and experience that makes me feel like a paramecium. If only I had a suitable conversation piece to redirect the discussion to more familiar territory.
2) I’m attending an hour-long meeting, only five minutes of which actually applies to me.
3) I don’t know how to sit at a restaurant waiting for food without something to do. Knitting has ruined me for fine dining.
4) Christmas with the in-laws. Lots and lots of time spent with people who are nice, but unfamiliar. I want to impress them. Knitting is ladylike and productive.
5) I’m trying to stay awake during a finance presentation. Spreadsheets do it to me every time.
6) I had no idea one short errand would turn into five errands.
7) Leaving my cat at the vet for treatment is almost as stressful for me as it is for him.
8) That lady two rows away on the bus is knitting and I’m jealous.
9) I wish there was some way to knit while running on a treadmill. I would be in such good shape.
10) Someone just gave me an end-of-day deadline at 4:12 pm. I need something to prevent me chucking my computer out the window.
11) My SO is addicted to a really terrible super heroes cartoon. I need something to do while I pretend to watch it.
12) I can’t sit in the dark with nothing to do, even at a concert.
13) All the good celebrity magazines are next to the other pedicure chair.
14) My SO has disappeared into the Lego store. He may never come out again.
15) I’m trying to cut calories so I need something to distract myself from the appetizer tray.
16) I’m at a New Years party, which these days is half kiddie play date. Lots of sitting around watching munchkins suck on wooden blocks.
17) I just discovered I’m lactose intolerant and I’m a little pissed that I can no longer order the cheese plate. But at least I can still have this awesome yarn.
18) I’m watching a dance movie where the dancing is the only point. I need to fill in the empty spaces between awesome dance numbers.
19) I might discover a new Ravelry friend. When I whip out my knitting they pop out of the woodwork.